07 February 2016

Father's Day Photo Hike

One of the reasons Nick and I moved back to Oregon was to be close to family and all the awesome outdoorsy activities available so close to town.  As a result, last Father's day I got to take advantage of both!  My dad and I took a few short hikes on a loop drive through the Columbia gorge, stopped in Hood River for lunch, and then to Lost Lake by Mt Hood, then up and around Mt Hood, stopping at Trillium Lake for the sunset, and then back home.  We took Nova with us but she was a huge pain pretty much the whole day.  She pulled so much more than she usually does on hikes and was super whiny the entire car ride.  I think the only reason she was worse than usual was because my dad was there and she doesn't see him often so she was extra amped up.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun to hike with my dad because, like me, he is into photography so he and I were both on a mission to capture some great photos of the landscape around us as we hiked.  I often feel bad hiking with others who don't care as much about photography because I make them stop and wait for me while I take a lot of photos along the way.  Thankfully everyone I usually hike with is very patient and accommodating of my obsession.  But when I'm with others who are also taking as many photos as I am, I don't feel bad.  Instead, it's almost like we feed off of each other, sharing tips and ideas.  And there's multiple sets of eyes looking for great shots.  Plus it was obviously nice getting some father-daughter time, too.  Bonus!  Here are some of my favorites:

We paused at Horsetail Falls in the Gorge.

Along the trail at Lost Lake

About two thirds of the way around Lost Lake
 And more photos...


Mt. Hood from the North, about three quarters of the way around Lost Lake


I just love moss.

Boat ramp at Lost Lake, for rowing, canoeing and kayaking

Mt. Hood from the NE, in the midst of some farm fields.  The farms and
orchards to the north and northeast of Mt. Hood are so beautiful.

Not sure exactly what trailhead this was from, but I think it's one of the parts
of Hood River


Sunset at Trillium Lake on the south side of the mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment